Thursday, December 16, 2010

Song 9--God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"
Words

Why was Christ born?  According to this song, one of the reasons was to free us from Satan's power when we go astray.  I so go astray at times.  Quick lesson--Satan is a spiritual being who decided he wanted to be in charge.  He gathered some followers and tried to take over from God.  God won.  Satan lost.  Now Satan hates all things good and all things godly.  Humans are made in the image of God.  Therefore Satan hates humans and will do anything he can to make our lives never live up to our potential and will do anything he can to keep us from God.

But do I really believe in Satan's power?  Is evil not just an abstract concept brought about by mistakes and poor choices?  Isn't evil just the absence of good?  Isn't the idea of a devil a bit outdated?  For my take on the spiritual, you can look over Song 17--"Angels We Have Heard on High."  As for evil, I believe in Satan and in evil, not just from my faith stand point, but from a personal stand point.

I look back at my active drinking days.  I was not only dependent on alcohol, but truly felt in bondage.  When I was hurting myself, I felt trapped and hated who I was.  When I was suicidal, I very much believed the only way out of pain was death.  Bondage, trapped, death.  The presence of evil in my life is very real.  I still struggle with doubt.  I still struggle with depression.  Satan hasn't given up on keeping me from freedom and from God.  He still tries on a daily basis to draw me away from the life I am meant to lead.

Do you feel trapped and enslaved in areas of your life?  Does he use money and things to control you and drive you?  Are there habits that are self-destructive that you just can't seem to break or that you just can't seem to want to break?  Is lying a way of life and not just a hobby?  Do you live in fear that someday, those you care about will see the real you and you will be left alone?  Do you feel God could not possibly care about you?

This Christmas, may this song remind you there is a love greater than the despair you feel.  There is a savior who longs to free you from the spiritual jail you are in.  There is God who offers hope, forgiveness, guidance, strength, peace and life.  Jesus was born to show us that God has the ultimate power.  He will not be stopped.  His love will not end.  His strength will not fail.  We are made in the image of God and through Jesus we can daily be remade in that image.  We can be free from the power of Satan.  Merry Christmas--receive the gift of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment