Saturday, December 18, 2010

Song 8--It's the Most Wonderful Time

"It's the Most Wonderful Time"
Words

There may be jingle belling, good cheering, marshmallows roasting, parties, mistletoe and glowing hearts, but this song reminds me of a different reason why it's a very wonderful time for me.  Let's take a look at a Christmas past.

December 1997.  We finished a very fun Christmas show with our church where my wife directed  and I was King Herod and teenagers fed me grapes.  Good times.  Shortly thereafter, December 22nd to be exact, we find ourselves in the hospital.  It's a Monday night and the Dolphins are playing on MNF and I am watching.  Oh, and my wife is in labor with our first child.  Her parents are driving back from Wausau in hopes they will be on time.

At 1:16am on December 23rd, our son is born.  He is wonderful.  My wife did fantastic.  Her mom was supportive.  Her dad was in the hallway.  I was by her side.  The next couple of days were very magical.  Friends came and prayed with us and brought gifts and enjoyed our new addition.  Santa even came and visited in the hospital.  Eventually the flock of friends dwindled and we had alone time. 

Outside the hospital window the snow gently glided down from the heavens.  My heart was more full than it had ever been.  I was sitting in a glider rocker holding my boy and telling him a story.  A true story about a young girl, a young man and their baby, Jesus.  With tears in my eyes I told him about shepherds and angels. One manger and three wise men.  Sheep, swaddling clothes, songs and probably a drummer boy.  I told him about how much God loves him. 

We brought our tiny boy home on Christmas Day with a blanket of snow on the ground and a chill in the air.  When we got to our place, the first thing we noticed is that our Christmas tree had fallen down.  So after putting the tree back up and replacing a few ornaments, we stuck our child in a big stocking and went about capturing his first Christmas on film.  Christmas of 1997 might be my favorite Christmas. 

Is it the most wonderful time of the year?  For me it is, because of two babies:  the baby born on December 23, 1997 and the baby who's birth we celebrate on December 25th.  May you be of good cheer and may your heart glow this Christmas.

1 comment: