Friday, December 24, 2010

Song 1--Joy to the World

"Joy to the World"
Words

When I started talking about doing this blog with my kiddos and wife, I started to wonder what song I was going to end with.  For a while, I thought it might be Silent Night or O Holy Night.  But my kids lobbied for the "Jeremiah is a bull frog song"--that whole joy to the world, all the boys and girls.  I set them straight, but when I thought about it--this song does capture some key beliefs I have.

I believe that Jesus is the creator of all and Lord over all.  I believe that on Christmas he was born of a virgin and became a man.  Fully human.  Fully God.  I believe at the end of the day Love wins.  And I believe that this is fantastic news for everyone.

I believe, as a follower of Christ, I have reason to be joyous.  I make mistakes, but I'm not defined by my mistakes.  I sin and hurt people, but I'm not held captive to that sin.  I am forgiven.  I am free.  I am loved.  I have a relationship with the Creator God.  The joy of Christmas for me is the realization that God can and will do anything to show us his love for us.  Give up the throne of heaven for manger of straw--done.  Give up the eternal beauty of heaven for a dusty desert--done.  Let go of the right to command the stars into existence for the ability to cry and hope someone figures out you are hungry--done. 

He covers himself in humility.  Takes on the robe of our humanity.  Suffers with us.  Cries with us.  Hurts with us.  Rejoices with us.  Laughs with us.  Celebrates with us.  He truly is God with us.  This is Christmas to me.  God with us today and everyday in every circumstance.  Alleluia.  Glory to God in the Highest.

No comments:

Post a Comment