Thursday, December 2, 2010

Song 23--Jingle Bells

"Jingle Bells"
Words---come on you know 'em

It is very hard, nigh impossible for me to sing this song without smiling.  Go ahead and try it.  Right now--sing it-Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way.

This song is about fun and celebration.  Even with a bunch of vacation days and holidays and weekends--I don't think a lot of us celebrate enough.  Sometimes our celebrations turn into a lot work.  Sometimes they are excuses to look good or to pay back a favor or feel like something we have to do.  Whatever happened to just being around friends and family and enjoying them for who they are?  I don't care if your house is clean.  I understand your kids can be cranky.  I don't need a big meal.  Celebrations are about the people.

Jingle Bells also reminds me of car rides to go see relatives.  My mom came from a big family and every Christmas her numerous brothers and sisters, who were responsible for all my cousins, would gather together.  There would be eating, drinking, laughing and a humongous gift exchange.  Santa would sometimes appear.  Yes, sometimes things got a bit out of hand.  No, I didn't get along with every cousin.  Yes, a couple of my uncles were scary.  But it was a celebration.  My dad on the piano and carols being sung. Even helping with the dishes was fun on Christmas. 

I don't know if I will ever experience Christmas like I did growing up with my relatives.  But I hope that in the midst of everything I will remember to have fun and celebrate.  I hope you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment