Saturday, December 4, 2010

Song 21-Silver Bells

"Silver Bells"
Words

"Silver Bells" reminds me of a couple of things.  One is that I really like Christmas lights.  Not enough to put them up outside, although I do think people who do that are super cool.  I like the big displays, the simple lighting of the eaves, the nativities, the reindeer, the roller coaster--what ever it is I like it!

One of my favorite memories of Christmas lights occurred 16 years ago.  This wonderful woman bought me a plane ticket and flew me into her state.  (Long story).  I met her parents and we went out to dinner.  After dinner, her dad handed me the keys to his car and said, "I hope you paid attention because you're driving home."  He proceeded to get into the backseat with his wife while his daughter sat in the front seat trying hard not to laugh.  As I attempted to find my way back to their house we ended up driving around looking at all the Christmas lights.  It might not have been the most direct route, but it was the most beautiful.

And then just last Sunday I had the opportunity to go to the Lights Before Christmas display at the Toledo Zoo.  It was magnificent.  Moose, bear, penguins, frogs, bats--all sorts of light displays.  Gorgeous lights dancing to music.  A huge Christmas tree that we suspect was decorated by a helicopter dropping a net of lights on it.  Sharks with Christmas hats on and model trains running around three or four tracks.  It was amazing.  Best of all my kids loved it!

The second idea the song brings to mind is that "silver bells" refers to the tradition of ringing a bell by a Salvation Army kettle to invite donations.  I have been fortunate that my kids and I have had the opportunity to ring bells together.  We have had good weather and bad weather.  Snow falling, wind blowing, toe numbing experiences.  Yet it's all good.  I have enjoyed this time with them and feel a bit more grateful for what I have when the hours are up.  I encourage you to go ahead and spend an hour or two by a red kettle this year.  Take your kids or your friends.  Ring a bell.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh --- a fellow ding-a-ling. We did it with Sarah last year and will be again in a few weeks.
    :)

    ReplyDelete