Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Song 11--What Child is This?

"What Child is This?"
Words

This song asks a life changing/life defining question--"What child is this?" 

Growing up in a certain faith I have some great memories about who baby Jesus was for me.  I remember one Christmas our family was chosen to place Jesus, with his family and friends, in the large manger display in church.  That was a special year.  At home, every year we would put up our manger in early December, but we didn't put baby Jesus in.  He didn't come until Christmas.  After church on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, we would sing carols as we placed baby Jesus into the manger scene.

As a child there was something special about baby Jesus.  There was a sacredness.  The readings were about the "Word became flesh" and "Unto us a child is born".  It was a very special time.  It was obvious Jesus was a very special baby.

As I've grown up, the question has grown from "what child is this?" to "who is Jesus?"  Do I really believe that the King of Kings was born to a virgin in a manger?  Do I really believe He is fully God and fully man?  Do I really believe this carpenter's son grew up to be a world changing teacher?  Do I believe He died on the cross, was buried and rose again?  If yes--does it make a difference in my life? 

Do I allow for the possibility of miracles?  Do I trust Him with my family, my money, my life?  Is He the center of my life?  If I answered yes to the first questions, then I should answer yes to the last questions.  This Christmas may I again answer the question "what child is this?" with "this, this is Christ the King."

No comments:

Post a Comment