Sunday, December 12, 2010

Song 14--I'll Be Home for Christmas

"I'll Be Home for Christmas"
Words

When I hear this song I think of the brave men and women who have served and are serving in our Armed Forces.  I have friends and relatives who are veterans and some who are in the active military or married to active military.  Even though the song dates back to 1943 and previous wars, it still strikes a chord in many today.

Today, there are families separated because of war.  Children who will not be able to wake up to their  parents being around on Christmas morning.  Parents who will be dreaming of the look of awe and joy on their children's faces, but will only see sand.  War is not an easy topic for me.  I disagree with some decisions by our government.  I disagree with the indiscrimenent bombing of people who are caught and trapped in an evil system.  Yet the evil that is out there is real and does not care how I feel.  It is the evil of the Holocaust, of the tribal wars in Africa, of the killing over drugs and money, of freedomless societies where to think differently means death.  This evil is what the men and women I know in the military are fighting against.

I don't personally know the uncaring, bloodthirsty, cold soldiers that are sometimes portrayed in the news.  I do know the soldiers that believe that by serving and fighting they are making a difference in the lives of people who have no choice.  They are making a difference for their families, friends, neighbors and people they will never meet.  They are sacrificing.

So for all soldiers, not just United States military, who will be home for Christmas only in their dreams, may you be safe.  May your families be provided for.  May every weapon fall silent on Christmas Day.  May you all come back safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment